Political Gingervitis was formulated in early autumn 2016 as an effort to make people laugh, think, and perhaps even dream about how another world is possible.
However, given the results of the recent election it is clear this is not just an opportunity for a bit of fun but absolutely required in the face of a Trump presidency. Why do we say this?
The answer is quite important. Mark Juddery writes:
In the post-World War II era, the Klan experienced a huge resurgence. Its membership was skyrocketing, and its political influence was increasing, so [a young writer and activist named Stetson] Kennedy went undercover to infiltrate the group. By regularly attending meetings, he became privy to the organization's secrets.
But when he took the information to local authorities, they had little interest in using it. The Klan had become so powerful and intimidating that police were hesitant to build a case against them. Struggling to make use of his findings, Kennedy approached the writers of the Superman radio serial. It was perfect timing. With the war over and the Nazis no longer a threat, the producers were looking for a new villain for Superman to fight. The KKK was a great fit for the role. In a 16-episode series titled "Clan of the Fiery Cross," the writers pitted the Man of Steel against the men in white hoods.
As the story line progressed, the shows exposed many of the KKK's most guarded secrets. By revealing everything from code words to rituals, the program completely stripped the Klan of its mystique. Within two weeks of the broadcast, KKK recruitment was down to zero. And by 1948, people were showing up to Klan rallies just to mock them.
And so in the face of a Trump presidency, we are going to need all the laughs we can get. Tune in to get a few belly laughs and we will try to get you through a wild time.
- Political Gingervitis: Episode 8-James Baldwin and Tony Monteiro April 15, 2017
- Political Gingervitis: Episode 7-Mark Naison and Glen Ford March 26, 2017
- Political Gingervitis: Episode 6-Jeffrey St. Clair and Dr. John Geyman March 6, 2017
- Political Gingervitis: Episode 5-Gerald Horne February 10, 2017
- Political Gingervitis: Episode 4-Don DeBar and David Abraham January 17, 2017
- Political Gingervitis: Episode 3-Don DeBar and David Abraham December 27, 2016
- Political Gingervitis: Episode 2- Ray Rickman December 14, 2016
- Political Gingervitis: Episode 1-Kevin Carson November 27, 2016