This is the RIMC page of Sheila Resseger.
Check out her writings here!
Sheila's Work Published Elsewhere
- ProJo OpEd: Students can opt out of new tests in R.I.
- ProJo OpEd: New R.I. education chief choice troubling
- PolitiFact: Scorecard
- PolitiFact: Educator says 60,000 New York parents refused to let their children take Common Core tests in 2014
- Podcast: Mulling It Over- A Day At The PARCC
- The Rhode Island Department of Education’s Draft Plan for Implementing the ESSA (the federal Every Student Succeeds Act)—Spin and More Spin August 23, 2017
- Some Thoughts on the Common Core State (sic) Standards and the PARCC Testing (from April, 2015) June 22, 2017
- Utopian Rhetoric vs. Dystopian Reality in the Draft RI ESSA Plan June 21, 2017
- “A Glimpse Inside a Blended Learning Middle School in Providence, RI” June 3, 2017
- An Open Letter to Rhode Island Senator Sheldon Whitehouse, a member of the Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions Committee, re: the Nomination of Betsy DeVos as Secretary of Education December 26, 2016
- RI Commissioner of Education Ken Wagner, Achievement First Promoter December 7, 2016
- An Open Letter to my Friends and Fellow Education Warriors on the Right November 10, 2016
- My Remarks re: Request by Achievement First Charter Schools to Expand in Providence November 9, 2016
- RIDE wants our input on transitioning to the ESSA! November 5, 2016
- Flexians at Home and Abroad November 4, 2016
- Ken Wagner, Achievement First expansion and education deform in RI December 10, 2016We know that the Achievement First charter chain, with schools in N.Y. and CT as well as R.I., wants to expand its mayoral academy in Providence, and the decision to deny or allow this expansion is to be made soon. In a way, this is Rhode Island’s version of Massachusetts’ Question 2, the proposal to […]
- Public input needed on proposed changes to RI diploma system August 10, 2016Hopefully many parents, teachers, and concerned RI residents are aware that the RI Council on Elementary and Secondary Education has proposed changes to the high school diploma system. They will host four public hearings in late August and early September, and also are accepting public comment in writing. Here is the link to the draft […]
- What is ‘competency based education’? November 23, 2015Something sinister has been happening to public education in America for the last decade or more. Billionaires such as Bill Gates, Eli Broad, and the Walton family have poured their fortunes into remaking our public schools and our public school students into what they envision will be good for multi-national corporations such as Pearson, Microsoft, […]
- Common Core, PARCC are destroying public education September 24, 2015The Rhode Island Council on Elementary and Secondary Education had a meeting on September 21 and other than the council members and RI Department of Education staffers, it was not well attended. These meetings are open to the public, and there is an open forum section on the agenda in which anyone from the public […]
- Dr. Wagner on developmental appropriateness August 4, 2015Dr. Ken Wagner, Rhode Island’s new commissioner of public education, was asked what strategies he would propose to address the achievement gap between students of color and their Caucasian counterparts at the July 13 joint meeting of the Board of Education and Council on Elementary and Secondary Education at which his nomination was confirmed. (video […]